Communicate where and how to communicate
This has come up in the documentation team, but it also concerns other teams and the community as a whole. I think it is a possible task for t30 and the communication team.
In the docs team, we are wondering where to do online focused discussions. Slack is very insufficient for that. There is decisions.typo3.org but that is apparently for core team issues (see text on start page and this comment:https://decisions.typo3.org/t/extbase-authorization-permission-layer/420/3).
It is not just about discussions to come to a decision. It's also about knowledge sharing and communication. decisisions.typo3.org does a good job for both goals, I think.
- The mailing-lists were available to lead focused discussions on a specific topic and exchange knowledge. Now we have Slack, which is hard to follow in some ways and not publicly searchable. There is decisions, but the bar is much higher for initiating a discussion there. It has been communicated that the mailing-lists are dead, but I have never seen this done publicly in a clear way.
- there is talk.typo3.org but there is not even a text at the top of the page. I am unsure what to use it for.
- There is the wiki, which is still being used for team communication. There are plans to possibly shut down the Wiki, but it should be communicated, what is recommended to use instead.
- We talked about "best practices" at the DevDays. It would be good to have best practices for communication and collaboration tools. Some people use Google Docs, some use Etherpad. If you are in multiple teams, this is a burden and does not make participation any easier. Also, it is important for the community to be able to follow and participate in discussions, not just the teams themselves.
- Provide a page with an overview of where to communicate (e.g. typo3.org/communicate) in a commented list of recommended and deprecated platforms with some helpful tipps ("best practices"), similar to https://typo3.org/help
- https://slack.typo3.org (which is not just used for support, but also for dicussions)
- mailing-lists (deprecated?): http://lists.typo3.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
- Wiki (deprecated?) : https://wiki.typo3.org
- Slack calls
- Slack alternatives
- on each web app page (talk,typo3.org, etc), add information at the top what it is to be used for
- Announce this new page "where and how to communicate" either via the announce slack channel, news on typo3.org or "this month in TYPO3"